Bankruptcy has helped millions of individuals and households in the United States regain control of their finances and allowed them to start over with a clean debt slate. However, filing for bankruptcy is not a decision that should be taken lightly and you should always have a thorough understanding of the bankruptcy process and the implications that bankruptcy may have on the different aspects of your life.
While an experienced New York bankruptcy attorney will be able to give you the answers and advice based on your specific situation, the following links lead to resources that can give you some basic information regarding bankruptcy in New York. Though online resources can never replace the assistance of a lawyer who regularly handles bankruptcy cases, we hope the following information can help you if you are considering bankruptcy as a financial solution.
- Bankruptcy Basics – A helpful site provided by the United States federal courts including an overview of the different types of bankruptcy and a glossary of common bankruptcy terms.
- DOJ Bankruptcy Overview – A brief overview of the different chapters of the bankruptcy code published by the United States Trustee Program of the Department of Justice.
- Bankruptcy: an Overview – A thorough overview of bankruptcy presented by the Legal Information Institute of the Cornell University Law School, including several additional bankruptcy sources.
- Bankruptcy in the United States – Wikipedia entry regarding bankruptcy in the U.S., including the history of bankruptcy, current laws and procedures, social and economic factors, and more.
Federal Bankruptcy Laws:
- Title 11 of the United States Code overview – Link to the table of contents of Title 11 of the U.S. Code, which covers all federal bankruptcy regulations.
- Chapter 7 – Text of the federal laws involving liquidation bankruptcy under Chapter 7.
- Chapter 11 – Federal statute involving reorganization bankruptcy under Chapter 11.
- Chapter 13 – Law involving readjustment of debts of an individual with regular income under Chapter 13.
- Bankruptcy Procedures – The Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure.
Bankruptcy Courts in New York:
- Eastern District – Official site for the United States Bankruptcy Court of the Eastern District of New York, providing information, forms, and resources for both attorneys and laypeople.
- Northern District – Home site for the United States Bankruptcy Court of the Northern District of New York to help litigants and attorneys navigate the bankruptcy process.
- Southern District – Website for the United States Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of New York, containing important information for possible bankruptcy filers and attorneys.
- Western District – Official site for the United States Bankruptcy Court of the Western District of New York, which has helpful information regarding the bankruptcy process, requirements, and forms.
NY Bankruptcy Law Firms:
- New York: Law Office of Ronald D. Weiss – Team of experienced attorneys in Long Island assisting with bankruptcy, foreclosure, and loan modification.
Out of State Bankruptcy Law Firms:
- Missouri: The Law Offices Of Kenneth P. Carp – Experienced bankruptcy lawyer assisting individuals with credit card debt, bankruptcy, loan modification, and foreclosures in St. Louis, MO.